From: R Losey <rlo...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2024 11:18 AM
To: barry milliken <barry.milli...@outlook.com>
Cc: gnucash-user@gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] Moving from Quicken

I, too, left Quicken about 8 years ago and changed to GnuCash. I had a slight
familiarity with double-entry accounting, and I've seldom had any issues with
GnuCash.

I thought about importing Quicken data, but then decided against it... I
reasoned that if I really did need to reference something I had in Quicken, I
could open those files.  In fact, I think I opened Quicken two or three times
in the first couple of years, and haven't touched it since. It's just something
to think about.

I had trouble getting the downloads from financial institutions to work, so I
do them manually and regularly reconcile. I don't really miss this function,
but it is possible.

As you will have heard, GnuCash doesn't have "categories"; it has "accounts".
At the risk of offending a great multitude of GnuCash users, from the practical
point of view, GnuCash accounts are very much like categories in Quicken. I
know that they are not really the same thing, but as a former Quicken user,
they are.

In my experience, the one thing I had trouble with in GnuCash were the reports
- most of them seem to need some kind of tweaking to get them to do what is
wanted. Here's another thing to think about: instead of assigning accounts as
"tax deductible", if you have an account whose transactions are deductible
(such as charitable giving, you can create a report for just these accounts.
You just need the discipline to only enter deductible items in such accounts. I
do know that there is a US tax setup feature, but I haven't made  full use of
that -- and the report using the accounts I want to know about for tax reasons
works well enough for my needs.

RL