Folks trying to imitate Pen & Paper using a computer are always going to have to adjust their workflow or make concessions for the difference in formats. This is true no matter the task at hand, or the software used, and is true of things not even accounting related at all.

I'm glad GnuCash gives the choice. Some software forces you to do what *it* wants.

Not as much as you think. Assuming you were using "journal view" to enter transactions the only real difference is that software like gnucash is "autoposting" (when you hit enter closing the transaction entry process the journal entry is posted to the ledger accounts WITHOUT ERROR --- errors made during the manual posting of pen and ink on paper days  were the bane of our existence and we had to learn all sorts of tricks* to find the errors). That's why we had to do a periodic trial balance <<I have not done a trial balance since first using a computer bookkeeping app since the computer simply won't allow "out of balance" --- if Imbalance is zero, the books are in balance >>

Simply entering simple (two account) transactions directly in the ledger is very like the shortcut sometimes used in pen and ink on paper days known as "cashbook accounting" where a small subset of the most popular accounts had their own book separate from the main journal-ledger. Gnucash (or other similar apps) is simply expanding the subset to the entire ledger. But unlike pen and ink on paper days, gnucash can produce as a report the virtual journal of these transactions (they were never entered in journal form)

THAT is why I keep saying "if you don't know how you would enter something pen and ink on paper" then your problem is really a bookkeeping question as opposed to a gnucash question.

Michael D Novack

* example --- "if the difference (the oob amount) is divisible by 9 then look for a transposition of digits" -------  thus 51 -15 = 36 which is divisible by 9     251 - 152  = 99 which is divisible by 9          There were other such rules, but transposition errors during posting were the most common error so this was the most import "rule"