I was referring to the process of turning a running Windows installation into a VM from within that running installation. I know VMWare has such a tool, and I think Virtualbox does as well. (other virtualization solutions might too, and still yet, there might be 3rd party tools to accomplish the job)

Otherwise, you could create a VM for each OS, but don't install an OS into it, then simply point the boot device to the desired physical drive and boot the VM. It *should* boot up the drive as if it were running bare metal as the main OS. (but within the VM of course)

If you can plug in more than one drive to the working machine at a time, I'd do so, and set the Ubuntu drive as the first and only boot device. Then see if from within Ubuntu, you can see and mount the other drives. You might have to get dirty with command line tools though as some of the GUI apps for this don't always play nice. From the command line, you can also possibly run SMART tests on the offending (or every) drive. (The drive has to support SMART, but most drives made in the last 25 years do, though maybe not the full spec.) Look into smartmontools for more on this.

Another option is to get an external drive caddy as you may have a problem with one or more of your internal SATA ports. (could be a bad data cable, or power cable too - so many things to try...)

And don't toss or destroy those drives. You might still be able to save them yet.

Best of luck.