As I wrote, the hack won't mean much to people using calendar year tax
reports. The accounting year absolutely allows reports to be run for a
fiscal year, but it's like driving down the road without being able to look
at the traffic around you so little chance to correct errors.

Comparative reporting needs access to *two* fiscal year periods
but the accounting period can only set *one* period. The hack provides the
previous fiscal year for tax reporting, and importantly the accounting
period can be set to two fiscal years previous, to allow comparative
reporting between the most recently completed tax reports and the ones
being prepared.

https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2024-March/111000.html
John wrote:

> If you follow the mailing list link in Flywire's original
> https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2021-October/097880.html
> <https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2021-October/097880.html,>
> you'll see that it shares a hack of the Scheme relative-date code to shift
> the calendar year by a hard-coded 6 months [Note the most important hack is
> the previous year]. GnuCash 5 includes a rewrite of the option system in
> C++ so the hack can't be applied any more.

But I think it's unnecessary since changing the accounting period in

https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2024-March/110996.html
flywire wrote:

> Let's do profit and loss, and balance sheet reports for tax reporting
> in GnuCash. You'll want to run the reports the previous year, and you
> can compare them to two years previous to assess the credibility of the
> values. (If your tax reports are for calendar year then congratulations,
> and the next paragraph won't mean much to you.)

> GnuCash allows you to define Accounting Period but that doesn't allow
> a simple comparison between the previous fiscal year and two fiscal
> years previous. The hack for GnuCash V4 does allow that by defining the
> current year other than the calendar year (example is 1 Jul to 30 Jun) so
> the reports are similar to most financial software.

Regards