I remember EBCDIC being used heavily during mid '80's on Fortran punch cards...

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Tydeman <tydeman.f...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2024 10:08 AM
To: stepbystepf...@comcast.net
Cc: gnucash-user@gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] Bill total does not match real total

Actually, DFP (decimal floating point) has been part of gcc since 2005.
DFP is now part of standard C (C23).  DFP was first proposed for C in 2003
N1016 <https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1016.htm> 01-Sep-2003
Mak, Extension for the programming language C to support decimal floating-point
arithmetic

Intel 8080 and x86 CPUs both have a limited instruction set for BCD (binary
coded decimal).

The first computer I ever used (in 1967), the IBM 1620, used BCD floating-point.