Joe,

The IIF format is a TSV (tab separated format
see
https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/list-management/iif-overview-import-kit-sample-files-headers/L5CZIpJne_US_en_US
). You should be able to import them with the gnucash CSV importer
which has provision for changing the separator used from a "," to a tab
or any other character.

The CSV importer has a number of headers which define the data in
GnuCash. Setting up the importer will require identifying the
appropriate columns in the IIF file to which you assign the headers
and/or rearranging the IIF file into a format more suitable for CSV
import in GnuCash.   The easiest way to understand the format GnuCash
imports is to manually setup transactions of the type you wish to
import in gnuCash then export them in CSV format and examine the
exported file  ina text editor
See https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-manual/trans-import.html
for details on the importer.

You may also find additional information in this thread in the mailing
list archives
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2008-March/024282.html

It may pay to work with a dummy set of books in Gnucash and practise
with the sample files in the IIF import kit in the reference above
before importing data into your current books.

You may also find this article helpful https://lwn.net/Articles/833616/
as it has some Python scripts. This seems to require a version of
GnuCash compiled with the Python bindings.

David Cousens