When I asked this question a couple of years ago there were quite a few
suggestions. (Someone better versed in listserv could probably find this,
but I can't.)

The solution that seemed most straightforward and workable to me was:

   - Assign each discrete fund a currency code
      - assuming these are free text, this could be a TLA that matches the
      name of the fund well, but it's possible the real-world
currencies are the
      only options, so you'd have to approximate and keep an index.
   - Set the exchange rate at 1:1
   - Your funds report is the balance of each "currency" at any given moment

I'm sorry I'm still not a real-life GnuCash user, so can't comment on this
solution from experience, but it looked like a good solution to me - as
secretary/treasurer of an unincorporated charity in the UK using Excel
currently. (Which on <20 transactions per month I find perfectly usable -
DM me for more on that if you like, or find your way to
smallcharitysupport.uk)