You did NOT have to have separate books!

In ONE set of books you can have as many "bank accounts" in the ledger ans you have bank accounts. Just give them different names so that you can tell them apart. We may have some difficulties with cross pond differences in language. Thus your "current account" means what I would call a "checking account" and you must not confuse "current account" with the asset category "current assets" << all accounts containing immediately available funds >>

Thus:
Assets
     Current assets
           Current account
           Savings account << where you are keeping restricted funds >>

OK, now your donations are all being deposited into the checking account even though some of those donations are restricted. You are asking how to deal with that? Under income you could have:
Income
      unrestricted donations
      untransferred restricted donations
      restricted donations

When you make a deposit into the checking account of a bunch of donations (of both sorts) you use the top two. Hint: easiest to have an asset under current assets "undeposited cash" and as donations come in they go there credited to either unrestricted donations or untransferred. Now your actual bank deposit is an easy transaction, just undeposited to checking. Later, when you transfer from the "checking account" to the "savings account" <note> you would ALSO be transferring between "untransferred restricted donations" to "restricted donations". NOTE -- your reference to "building society" manes a different bank? Still that way your side of the pond?

As for your question about statements, almost all gnucash reports allow you to SELECT which accounts are to be included. You'd be able to produce statements for just the unrestricted funds, just the restricted, both together, etc.

Do note that while you can't use restricted funds for other than their intended purpose THE REVERSE IS NOT TRUE <<well, that would depend on your organizational bylaws but would be most unusual >> That's why you would want to use restricted funds for their intended purpose first (before using any non-restricted funds for that purpose). You want to clear the restriction.

Michael D Novack

PS --- The usual caveat, I'm not "licensed" to give accounting help. For what it's worth, I've been Treasurer for a number of non-profits.

PPS -- if you are following this, but your organization does not have that second bank account, you could track the restriction using a liability.