Hi Luis,

Welcome to GnuCash!

On Friday, 31 May 2024 06:09:12 BST Luis Sini wrote:
> Dear Jim,

> Since GnuCash is open source, i was wondering how members are able to
> contribute to it? Who adds features and make changes to the software. Im
> not a programmer, but perhaps i could find someonw that could work on
> making changes for me.

There is a core team of develpoers who wrtie the code and fix the bugs.  their
time is very limited.  Some others help out by writing/updating docs, or add
to the wiki and FAQ.  others just answer on here if they have knowledge that
fits.  Anyone can report bugs, of course.  There's a link somewhere on the GC
website for $ donatinos, too, I think.

> Although, your solution is something that i have thought of, im wondering
> how difficult would it be to add 1 more account type to the software that
> made that account be ble to have any type under it. Similar to the top
> level accounts.

Jim's solution makes sense to me.  Use the reports to report on what you need.
GC is quite strict about being a "formal accounting" program, and I think
you'll struggle to get developer support to make that change to account types.

> I was surprised to find that there is no user group for GnuCash. I'd figure
> that may be a way for people to ask questions in a forum which may allow
> > people to search previous topics and such.

This email list is the "user group".  GC has been around for a very long time,
pretty much predating "social media", and this email group is still the formal
way to ask user-level questions.  All the archives exist and can be read, it
may just be a slightly different way that you expected, and hard to search for
a variety of reasons!  I think the specific site: search trick has been killed
by google, for example (but still works on duckduckgo).

good luck!
Maf.