Tabs don't change color on their own. You have to do that intentionally by editing an account and setting a color. This has nothing to do with filters.

Make sure that Preferences > Register Defaults > Number of transactions is set to ZERO to show all transactions.

While you mentioned the "Show All" on the Filter by... > Date tab, check the Status tab also and check all that apply to *show*. (I always show all transactions, and that might be a good place to start, then uncheck those you later don't want to hide)

The file list is not inaccessible. The location is documented on the Wiki. (and in threads here on the list)