Hi Daniel,
As Treasurer of our church, I do something very similar.
This is how it works:
 - A parent asset acct 1120 is called "Checking acct after reserves"
 - a child acct 1121 is called "Checking acct"
 - another child acct 1122 called "Reserve for property tax"
 - another child acct 1123 called "Reserve for elevator maintenance"
In the church's case, the reserves are for:
        - property tax on the parsonage, which is due every 6 months
        - big elevator maintenance work required every 5 years
The acct codes (1120, 1121, etc) help a LOT to keep this clear in the chart of accts. I'd suggest using acct codes for all accts. See for example:
double-entry-bookkeeping.com/coa/chart-of-accounts-numbering-system/
    ... or search on "typical chart of accounts numbering system"

Then I take the property tax amount divided by 6 months, and
the estimated elevator maintenance bill divided by 60 months ie 5 years -
... and set up monthly Scheduled Transactions, which:
    - CREDIT the "Reserve for something" acct
    - DEBIT the appropriate expense acct
          ... for the amount needed monthly, to have money available to pay these bills when they come up.

So the "Reserve for something" accounts -which are asset accts- usually have a negative (credit) balance. This is the amount which has been "set aside" towards the known upcoming expense. The expense actually shows up monthly, instead of a big lump at 6 months for property tax, or at 5 years for the elevator maintenance.

When the "big lump" bill comes due and I pay it, the transaction is:
    - CREDIT the checking acct, from which I write the check to pay it,
    - DEBIT "Reserve for something" ... which brings the "Reserve" acct balance back to zero (or pretty close). Note that this debit does NOT go into the expense acct - because the expense has already been booked monthly.

So looking at these acct balances in a typical month, it might look like this:
1120 "Checking acct after reserves"  =  $6,000  (PARENT)
 - 1121 child acct  "Checking acct"     =  $7,250
 - 1122 child acct "Reserve for elevator" =  -$1000 (Negative balance)
 - 1123 child acct "Resv for property tax" =   -$250(Negative balance)

What this means:
 - 1120 the PARENT "Checking after reserves" is that portion of the checking acct available for everything else ... AFTER what's been set aside for the next 5-year elevator maintenance and the next 6-month property tax payment.
-- 1121 child "Ckg acct" is the ACTUAL amount in the checking acct.
        ... This is the acct into which I book all deposits and checks written; and which I reconcile with the bank's statement each month.      -- 1122+1123 "Reserve for XXX" acct's are the amounts "saved up for" the upcoming big-lump payments, which show up as a negative number.

I coded 1120 "Checking after reserves" as a "placeholder" acct, so it does NOT show up as a choice when I'm entering transactions. I will not ever normally enter a transaction directly into this acct. Everything goes into the actual checking acct 1121, or the reserve acct's 1122 + 1123.

Hope that helps and God bless!
Chris