From: Daniel Sheffield <d.j.yo...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 6, 2024 at 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: [GNC] Fund management without an actual account
To: Alan Johnson <a...@argentwolf.org>

Hi Alan, thanks for your reply.

I did briefly try this approach, and there are a few difficulties I faced:
* reconciling the parent account with my actual bank statement is not as
easy as the register has transactions that never happened (but I can use
transaction report as a work-around)
* overspending the fund is confusing again as I have to do a reversing
transaction of equal value from the child account to the parent for each
expense corresponding to the fund. When overspending the fund (child goes
negative) - it *looks* like money comes out of nowhere if I'm just looking
at the parent account.... the more I overspend the better, lol! Net effect
is zero of course, but it's just confusing to give account to my wife
* opening a real account at my bank will of course work. I want to avoid
this though as I can offset my home loan with my savings if they are in my
main account (I'm in NZ and have part floating and part fixed mortgage
which is common practice here). Some banks let you offset your mortgage
with all your assets you hold with them (I think) but mine doesn't.

But I really like your idea of a real savings account to make the
bookkeeping easier but multiple sub-accounts.... I hadn't thought of that
before. I suppose reconciling that account balance with all the
sub-accounts could be tricky again though? But this is solvable with the
Transaction Report. Nice idea!

I guess the overspending is not-uncommon for me as, say I put away $100 a
week for travel, I could buy flights at beginning or mid-way or end-of-year
without exceeding the yearly budget but briefly exceeding the current
savings depending when I actually expense it. As I have a lot of equity,
this is not usually a problem (so long as I can report on it).

I appreciate all the input,
Daniel
--
In the beginning Kibo created the Internet. Now the Internet was formless,
and empty. Randomness was upon the face of computing, and the Spirit of