I was wrong. None of that worked.  I had installed version 4.8 and it worked
with 4.8.  After uninstalling version 4.8 version 5.8 is still not displaying
reports.
Running
WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1 gnucash
results in
Command 'gnucash' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install gnucash
and running
sudo apt install gnucash
results in a fresh installation of version 4.8

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I have two Nvidia TitanX cards in my PC.

Thank you

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.