How do you normally run GnuCash? Do you have an icon on Ubuntu?

Most likely, you have installed the flatpack version, and the command is
just off. I have GnuCash 5.8 on Ubuntu 22.04LTS and it is flatback (if I
did the install, it would install 4.8). I would definitely uninstall the
4.8 version from Ubuntu. It may be worth re-installing the 5.8 GnuCash,
which I think was done via flatpak.

You can see what's installed via flatpak by issuing the command "flatpak
list". I  have org.gnucash.GnuCash listed.

I almost hate to ask this, but the command Bruce gave assumes you are
running the default shell (bash - check with "echo $SHELL"). I'm not sure
why the run command didn't work properly.

RL