I think gmail sent my half written response.  You can match any
unrrconciled transaction in the transaction import tool.  If you cannot
find the correct transaction you probably already matchrd it in a previous
import.
You can mark the transaction as do not import and re-run the impprt later
when you have decided how to correct that entry.
If you are using both of those tools as intended, GnuCash does not lose the
correct status of any transacion, regardless of how or when it was entered.

Sorry about the fat finger spelling errors.