My answers are interspersed with your questions (well, some of your
questions)

On Mon, Sep 9, 2024 at 5:09 PM Megan Tilley <megan.til...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> My environment is:
> Local Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
> Exchange Rates required for:
> == USD
> == GBP (UK)
> == EUR
> == SEK (Sweden)
> - and are usually purchases that I pass through Paypal (no balance in
> Paypal, at all) => buy with AUD and currency conversion made by Paypal into
> seller's currency
> All my investments are AUD

I have a similar setup, but in USD. I just do everything in USD - when I
purchase something that is 39.99 AUD, once it gets charged to my bank
account or credit card, it will be in USD, and I enter it that way, usually
with a note in the Memo about what I paid in the "other" currency.

I don't know that I can add much to the other responses.

> As I was hoping to initiate the automatic updates for Banking balances,
> stock prices and currency rates, I followed the instructions and ran the
> AqBanking Setup, but nothing happened as I could not get the Help button to
> operate in GC === terminology between the US and Australia is significantly
> different so I could not figure out the corollaries between my
> understanding of Australian banking terms and what appears in the AqBanking
> window (Ids and Bank Codes, etc.)

I used this back when I used Quicken, and it was handy, for those
institutions that supported it. It seemed more complex to get going in
GnuCash, so I decided not to use it... that was 7 years ago, and I have not
missed this feature.

> I moved on to Finance::Quote (F::Q) and followed the instructions to set up
> Quote Retrieval (
> https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v5/C/gnucash-manual/finance-quote.html) in
> the
> "Procedure 11.3. On Windows" the instructions stated to "run the program
> Install Online Price Retrieval for GnuCash" which I found in my
> installation data under "C:\Program Files
> (x86)\gnucash\bin\install-fq-mods.cmd".

This is something I've tried to get working on my Windows machine and on my
iMac; the only machine that has done this simply and easily is my Linux
machine (Ubuntu 22.04). I have been able to get them working for a while on
Windows and/or iMac, but then something breaks. I finally decided that I
can get by just fine without this feature... the places I have investments
have tools to show good price history.

I have used Quicken and Quicken Home & Business for over 25 years, so I am
> very used to that data structure. I spend something and one account goes
> down in value and I acquire an asset - a coat, for example.
> I understand that GC is a double-entry bookkeeping program, each
> transaction has an accompanying transaction in another account. However, I
> am very unsure where in the account register the transaction should be put
> to "buy" the coat = in Quicken it is a Debit (out of my pocket) in the
> Debit column of the Banking account.

I'll probably get accused of heresy by the GnuCash faithful, but, to be
honest, I didn't really see a difference (from the user perspective) in
entering transactions in Quicken and GnuCash. Every transaction in Quicken
needs a "category" to record the income or expense.  GnuCash isn't that
different, but they use accounts instead of categories. A simple
transaction, such as purchasing a coat on a credit card is the same in
both: Your credit card balance (what you owe) goes up and the
Expenses:Clothing account (GnuCash) / category (Quicken) increases by that
amount.  (I know that categories and accounts are different; I am talking
about what is done to enter a transaction appears to be very similar in
both GnuCash and Quicken).

Question 4: Which perspective should I adopt when looking at a transaction?
> I stand in my account and pay out using the Debit column, or I stand in the
> Coat account and use the debit column (correspondingly, the bank account is
> the credit column)?

If you find the Debits/Credits labels confusing, you may went to go into
the Preferences (maybe Settings?), go to the "Accounts"  area and UN-check
the "Use formal accounting labels"

All accounts have DEBITs and CREDITs in that order. For the coat
transaction above, it is a DEBIT (first column) to the Expense:Clothing
account and a CREDIT (second column) to your credit card (or bank account,
if you used a debit card or check).

Further to this last, as I said, I use Paypal as a pass through conversion
> channel- my Aussie bank account is used to pay for an item in a US market
> (NOT an investment/shares/stocks) - say, a 'Reference Book'. I know that I
> have to have 3 entries in a transaction: origin (Aussie Bank account), into
> Paypal as AUD, conversion by Paypal to USD, payment to US company for my
> 'Reference Book'. Referring to Question 4 :-

As I noted above, I just enter the transaction as if I'd made it in AUD,
with (usually) a entry in the "Notes" as to what I paid in the other
currency.