Hi Folks,

> I've been using rsnapshot for years, now, to do nightly, weekly, and
> monthly backups.

I concur. I will add that rsnapshot can also backup databases, but it needs a
short script to do it. I'm willing to offer copies of my scripts, with
explanations, if anybody is interested.

I also note that you may run into problems using rsnapshot on an NTFS
filesystem mounted CIFS, meaning you are an SMB client. If you are "snapping"
two files with names differentiated only by case, then these will collide on
case insensitive filesystems, and you'll lose one of them. I believe that this
can be changed if you perform the magical and possibly mythical NTFS
configuration setting that preserves case sensitivity on Windows systems and
then mount your CIFS shares on an NFS server, and then "reshare". Seems like a
lot of work. Might be easier to go the other way and mount the ext4 file system
on the Windows workstation, but you'll need non-Microsoft drivers to do it. I
don't know if you can "share" such mount points.

The whole "case sensitive" vs "case preserving" is a a good way to spend a week
and get nothing done. But it might be fun.

> what I'd LIKE is an offsite backup as well, but (1) purchasing the
> bandwidth and (2) the remote storage is probably more $$ than I want to
> spend.

Since you're using rsnapshot, which is simply a disciplined use of rsync, you
need only the bandwidth to cover the day's changes, which usually turns out to
be very little. You just need a friend who is willing to "host" your NAS and
punch a hole in the firewall for you. In the alternative, position your NAS in
a location for easy and quick access in the event of emergency evacuation, like
the garage, or even an outdoor shed.
--
Chris.