Interesting little thread...

As Maf (below) does,, I regularly use a blank transaction when I want to insert a visual separator between one set of transactions and the following ones. Sometimes I will fill the description field with dashes, to even more highlight the separator.

Another way I use an (almost) blank transaction is when I usually make a regular purchase each month, but then in one month don't. So, just to remind me (months or years) later why I didn't purchase that month, I make a note in the description field such as "didn't buy this month, because of ..."

To each her own, I suppose...

Peter


On 05/09/2026 1:51 am, Maf. King wrote:
On Friday, 4 September 2026 16:34:09 BST Marty Landman wrote:
Out of curiosity, since I am neither an accountant nor a bookkeeper. Is
there a valid reason that someone might want to enter such a transaction?


Yes.

Some sort of memo or reminder that is not a real transaction in that there is
no actual transfer of money etc.

I put a **CLOSED** in things like old credit card accounts once the
institution actually kills the account.  (which is on a different date than my
final payment)

I'm sure others have their own ideas!

0.02
Maf.



_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to