Hello Paul, thank you for your comment. I made a feature request some time ago, (https://bugs.gnucash.org/show_bug.cgi?id=798412) asking for a language chooser to be included in GnuCash's preferences. And I did that because all these 'solutions' require some level of computer knowledge, command line, deeply buried files, environment variables, etc. I don't believe the regular accountant or user will go through that trouble.
I could do that, start GC from the command line, loosing the precious double click on an icon ;). But the situation still exists unexplained. Not really a bug, but not pretty. I would like to understand it, that's all. I usually use Linux, no problem there. When in Windows, I usually use PortableApps, in which GC also works perfectly. ----- Regards, Pedro Albuquerque Join StarLink Em 10/09/2026 às 14:56, "Paul Kroitor" <[email protected]> escreveu: >Years ago here I had a requirement that the same Gnucash file was available in both French and English on the same (Windows) system. With the group’s help, I found that it was fairly straightforward to start Gnucash in a command shell established to use another language. > >There will be posts from me in the archives here about it. I’ll do a search if it becomes important to you. > > >> On Sep 10, 2026, at 9:09 AM, Pedro Albuquerque via gnucash-user <[email protected]> wrote: >> >> Here goes, attached the changed file and an image. Not sure the list accepts this. >> >> >> ----- >> Regards, >> Pedro Albuquerque >> [Join StarLink](https://starlink.com?referral=RC-DF-11719992-38576-14) >> >>> Em 10/09/2026 às 14:01, Murugan Mariappan <[email protected]> escreveu: >>> >>> Hi Pedro, >>> >>> I made the changes and saved the file as `environment.local` in the same directory. After launching GNUCash, I could see that the language had changed to Portuguese. Please refer the file and screen shot. Not sure why it is not working for you >>> >>> Saludos Cordiales >>> >>> Murugan >>> >>> --------------------------------------------------------------- >>> >>> From: Pedro Albuquerque <[email protected]> >>> Sent: 10 September 2026 13:44 >>> To: Murugan Mariappan <[email protected]> >>> Cc: [email protected] <[email protected]>; [email protected] <[email protected]>; John Ralls <[email protected]> >>> Subject: Re[2]: [GNC] GnuCash Language >>> >>> Thank you Murugan, for the suggestion. >>> >>> If I rename the file like that, .local becomes the file extension. Not sure if that is what you want. Anyway, GC still starts in English. >>> >>> ----- >>> Regards, >>> Pedro Albuquerque >>> [Join StarLink](https://starlink.com?referral=RC-DF-11719992-38576-14) >>> >>>> Em 10/09/2026 às 12:48, Murugan Mariappan <[email protected]> escreveu: >>>> >>>> Pedro >>>> >>>> Can you save the environment file changes to file name environment.local and restart GNUCash >>>> >>>> Saludos Cordiales >>>> >>>> Murugan >>>> >>>> --------------------------------------------------------------- >>>> >>>> From: gnucash-user <[email protected]> on behalf of Pedro Albuquerque via gnucash-user <[email protected]> >>>> Sent: 10 September 2026 05:21 >>>> To: John Ralls <[email protected]> >>>> Cc: [email protected] <[email protected]>; [email protected] <[email protected]> >>>> Subject: Re: [GNC] GnuCash Language >>>> >>>> Hello, and thank you all for the comments. >>>> >>>> Tracefile (today 4h 54m) content: >>>> * 04:53:55 WARN <gnc.backend.dbi> [gnc_module_init_backend_dbi()] No DBD >>>> drivers found >>>> * 04:54:04 WARN <gnc.app-utils.gsettings> [transform_settings()] Failed to >>>> load preferences transformation file >>>> 'D:\Programas\Escritório\gnucash/share\gnucash/pref_transformations.xml' >>>> >>>> John, obviously, Windows environment variables and GnuCash environment file >>>> were modified by me. But there is some kind of issue, yes. >>>> >>>> As you can see in the image, command systeminfo shows pt as my locale, but >>>> running: >>>> >>>> C:\Windows\System32>dism /online /get-intl >>>> >>>> Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool >>>> Version: 10.0.26100.5074 >>>> >>>> Image Version: 10.0.26200.8037 >>>> >>>> Reporting online international settings. >>>> >>>> Default system UI language : pt-PT >>>> The UI language fallback is : en-US >>>> System locale : pt-PT >>>> Default time zone : GMT Standard Time >>>> Active keyboard(s) : 0816:00000816 >>>> Keyboard layered driver : PC/AT Enhanced Keyboard (101/102-Key) >>>> >>>> Installed language(s): pt-PT >>>> Type : Partially localized language, MUI type. >>>> Fallback Languages en-US >>>> >>>> The operation completed successfully. >>>> >>>> Shows some partial fault, I don't know why or what. GnuCash runs fine in >>>> another laptop with Win10. This one was upgraded to Win11 following this >>>> procedure: >>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_p3dBrr_Sg. It uses a Win server version, pt >>>> language based. Maybe that is the issue. Funny thing is it only affects >>>> GnuCash, all other programs recognize pt as default. >>>> >>>> ----- >>>> Regards, >>>> Pedro Albuquerque >>>> Join StarLink >>>> >>>> Em 10/09/2026 às 00:56, "John Ralls" <[email protected]> escreveu: >>>>> The install-time language dialog box on Windows is just for the installer’s >>>> UI. All of the GnuCash and Gtk translations are included in the >>>> gnucash-xx-setup.exe. >>>>> >>>>> From the screenshot it looks like you’re unable to get GnuCash to give you >>>> Portuguese no matter what: Setting LANG=pt_PT in the environment file would >>>> override the system locale setting. >>>>> >>>>> Is there anything in the trace file? >>>> (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile) >>>>> >>>>> Regards, >>>>> John Ralls >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>> On Sep 9, 2026, at 14:18, Adrien Monteleone >>>> <[email protected]> wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> Were you not given a choice at install time? >>>>>> >>>>>> I vaguely recall threads here of some mixed-locale systems having issues >>>> though. If that is the case with your setup, it could be why GnuCash defaulted >>>> to English. Do a search just on this list and you should find the solution. I >>>> also vaguely recall there being a step of editing a locale file to resolve it. >>>>>> >>>>>> On 9/9/26 05:23, Pedro Albuquerque via gnucash-user wrote: >>>>>>> Hello, >>>>>>> I'm looking for ideas on how to convince GnuCash to use the default system >>>> language. Can anyone think of something? Because I can't. Thank you in >>>> advance. >>>>>> >>>>>> _______________________________________________ >>>>>> gnucash-user mailing list >>>>>> [email protected] >>>>>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe: >>>>>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user >>>>>> ----- >>>>>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies. >>>>>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All. >>>>> >>>>> _______________________________________________ >>>>> gnucash-user mailing list >>>>> [email protected] >>>>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe: >>>>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user >>>>> ----- >>>>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies. >>>>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All. >>>> >>>> _______________________________________________ >>>> gnucash-user mailing list >>>> [email protected] >>>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe: >>>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user >>>> ----- >>>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies. >>>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All. >> <environment_file_folder_2026-09-10_14-04.png> >> <environment.local> >> _______________________________________________ >> gnucash-user mailing list >> [email protected] >> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe: >> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user >> ----- >> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies. >> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All. _______________________________________________ gnucash-user mailing list [email protected] To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe: https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user ----- Please remember to CC this list on all your replies. You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
