Hi, 

In this day and age, you will probably want to look into setting up a virtual 
machine and installing an old version of Quicken just to export your data. 

I'm not sure how that would work in the Mac world, but (having explored the old 
Quicken options in the Windows world) you're simply not going find any other 
options open to you. That qdfm file isn't going to yield its secrets otherwise. 

I migrated from Quicken to GnuCash in 2005-6 because Quicken for Mac wouldn't 
open the Windows file I had. I exported most-- but not all-- of my old data at 
the time. I eventually entered every stock and mutual fund related transaction 
manually to maintain basis information. 

I've occasionally considered trying to get the rest out of those old files 
(which I in my obsessive way have retained all these years "just in case") for 
completeness. I've gone as far as to download historical copies of Quicken, but 
never followed through, because, really, what do I need to know about how I 
spent my money over 20 years ago? 

I'm assuming that your need for this 20 year old data stems from something more 
substantial than mere obsession, though-- in which case, I return to the 
virtual machine idea. 

I wish you luck. You'll need it. 

David T. 

P.S. please Reply-All to keep messages on the list. 

On September 29, 2026 7:52:02 PM GMT+05:30, Stephen Lee Phillips 
<[email protected]> wrote:
>David, thanks for your expedient response!
>
>My problem is finding a Quicken program that will actually OPEN this single
>file I'm trying to recover...
>
>Steve
>
>
>*Advocacy • Legislation & Ordinance Preparation*
>
>*Education • Intervention • Transport • FosteringPre-adoptive Home Visits
>• Avocational Bodhisattva*
>
>
>
>On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 1:31 AM David T. <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure you won't find any success getting at that data from
>> outside the Quicken universe. Your only option, I believe, is to open the
>> data file in Quicken and export your data in a generic format like OFX,
>> QIF, or csv and then importing that into another accounting program.
>>
>> David T.
>>
>>
>> On September 29, 2026 7:16:35 AM GMT+05:30, Stephen Lee Phillips <
>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Trying to find conversion for .qdfm (Quicken Data for Mac) file from 2007
>>> and was directed to GnuCash, however I've been unsuccessful in finding,
>>> downloading, and extracting/opening the correct iteration to run on Intel
>>> Mac OS Sonoma 14.8.9: Any suggestions would be most gratefully
>>> appreciated...
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> *Advocacy • Legislation & Ordinance Preparation*
>>>
>>> *Education • Intervention • Transport • FosteringPre-adoptive Home Visits
>>> • Avocational Bodhisattva*
>>> ------------------------------
>>> gnucash-user mailing list
>>> [email protected]
>>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>>> ------------------------------
>>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>>>
>>>
>> David T.
>>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to