From my recollection, version 2017 is the last version that is available 
*WITHOUT* subscription toll but it won’t let you create new files either but 
supports maintaining existing files without any of the online features. If my 
memory serves me right then version 2014 is the last one that you *did not* 
require Quicken portal login ID (or just bypass the check by canceling the 
modal for it) to use it either so that would be the last version you may want 
to keep around before things go fully dark. 

 

I could be mistaken on this but I thought that Intuit unified the file format 
for these two platforms from version 2009 and onwards. 

 

Quicken 5 should be upgradable to 2007 and continue past 2026 without losing 
anything. 2007 ran on Windows Me, XP, 2K and onwards versions.

 

As for version 2017, don’t update to latest patch which is R20.5 (i.e. stay at 
release R20.2 with build of 26.1.20.2 and don’t go past it; install base 
version and then apply Mondo patch for R20.2) else you will get a nag screen 
that covers 60%+ of the usable screen making it effectively unusable.

 

From: Clint Chaplin <[email protected]> 
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2026 12:40 PM
To: David T. <[email protected]>
Cc: Kalpesh Patel <[email protected]>; Tom Route36 <[email protected]>; 
Stephen Lee Phillips <[email protected]>; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [GNC] Download assistance sought...

 

I hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but if your version of Quicken is old 
enough, it'll stop working in 2027.

 

I am currently using Quicken 5 for Windows 95 (in a VM instance of Win2k), and 
because of limitations in the underlying Win95 OS support, it simply cannot 
recognize the existence of 2027.  Its the reason why I'm picking up GnuCash.

 

On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 5:29 AM David T. via gnucash-user 
<[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > wrote:

Kalpesh,

Unless later versions of Quicken are different (I left Quicken behind in 2006), 
there is NO way for the different versions of the program to read data files 
from the other platform. So, I don't think that OP can "bring over" their Mac 
file to Windows and export. 

When I asked Quicken about this in 2005, they told me that Quicken for Windows 
and Quicken for Mac were two completely different programs. Users migrating 
from one to the other were advised to export everything as QIF and import on 
the other. I figured if I was going through all that, I might as well migrate 
to an open source alternative. 

However, I did find <https://archive.org/details/quicken-2007>, which, combined 
with your macos images, might allow OP to gain access via a virtual machine and 
export to QIF. 

David T. 

On September 30, 2026 3:34:00 PM GMT+05:30, Kalpesh Patel 
<[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > wrote:
>In that case MacOS is the only way in Virtual Box instead of Windows OS it 
>sounds like. Two possible routes instead of one – 1) Older MacOS running an 
>older Quicken version in Virtual Box and then export it out as QIF, or 2) let 
>newer version of Quicken on MacOS upgrade that version into modern format, and 
>then either export to QIF directly from there or bring it over to Windows and 
>export. Note that Windows has been using QDF proprietary format to store 
>Quicken data.
>
> 
>
>I found number of Vagrant boxes for older MacOS that can run in Virtual Box at 
>https://portal.cloud.hashicorp.com/vagrant/discover?query=macos. 
>
> 
>
>In either case, though, you will end up with export-import cycle which is the 
>best route.
>
> 
>
> 
>
>From: Tom Route36 <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > 
>Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2026 12:08 AM
>To: 'Stephen Lee Phillips' <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> >
>Cc: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> ; Kalpesh Patel 
><[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> >; 'David T.' 
><[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> >
>Subject: Re: [GNC] Download assistance sought...
>
> 
>
>Hi Steve,
>
>After I saw Kalpesh's advice, it got me curious about those old versions of 
>Quicken, and I decided to run a few tests.  If you did get a Windows instance 
>up and running, you wouldn't need to worry about which version of Windows it 
>was.  For my testing here on a current Windows 11 system, I was able to 
>successfully install and run both Quicken 2014 and Quicken 2007.
>
>The bad news though is Quicken Windows can't open a Quicken Mac (.qdfm) file.  
>So I don't think doing that will help in your case.  As David mentioned 
>already, you need Quicken (specifically a Mac version of it) to open that 
>.qdfm file so that you can export it in one of those generic formats.
>
>A piece of good news for you though is that newer versions of Quicken 
>(post-2007) can most likely open your .qdfm file.  I tested and confirmed that 
>Quicken 2014 can open a Quicken 2007 file.  At least it worked for me on 
>Windows.  So even if you don't have a Mac system with Quicken 2007 anymore, I 
>think if you can find someone with a Mac system that has *any* version of 
>Quicken, there's a good chance it will be able to read your old .qdfm file -- 
>which would then allow you to export it as a .QIF file.
>
>Hope this helps,
>Tom
>
>
>
>On 09/29/2026 07:25 PM, Kalpesh Patel wrote:
>
>Your only and, one and only one real option is run a Windows instance in a 
>VirtualBox (Vagarant can provide a lot of plumbing if you know how) where you 
>can install Quicken 2006 and export it out as a QIF  format (OFX and CSV 
>formats for export are not available in Quicken) to import into GNC. Even that 
>is not strait forward as semantics of two system differ in many ways. I would 
>venture to think that you would probably need either Windows XP or Windows 7 
>as a compatible OS to possibly run that old of a Quicken version. You should 
>be able to get a copy of it from the archive machine 
>(https://archive.org/search?query=quicken 
><https://archive.org/search?query=quicken 
><https://archive.org/search?query=quicken&tab=all> &tab=all> &tab=all).
> 
>I remember writing up good hints to minimize pain to this group many years ago 
>from my experience of migrating over two decades of data from Quicken 2017 
>into GNC inn 2020 (and I am still fixing up some of that data).
> 
>-----Original Message-----
>From: David T.  <mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > 
><[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > 
>Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2026 2:32 AM
>To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>  
><mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > ; Stephen 
>Lee Phillips  <mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > 
><[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> >
>Subject: Re: [GNC] Download assistance sought...
> 
>I'm pretty sure you won't find any success getting at that data from outside 
>the Quicken universe. Your only option, I believe, is to open the data file in 
>Quicken and export your data in a generic format like OFX, QIF, or csv and 
>then importing that into another accounting program. 
> 
>David T. 
> 
>On September 29, 2026 7:16:35 AM GMT+05:30, Stephen Lee Phillips  
><mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > <[email protected] 
><mailto:[email protected]> > wrote:
>
>Trying to find conversion for .qdfm (Quicken Data for Mac) file from 
>2007 and was directed to GnuCash, however I've been unsuccessful in 
>finding, downloading, and extracting/opening the correct iteration to 
>run on Intel Mac OS Sonoma 14.8.9: Any suggestions would be most 
>gratefully appreciated...
> 
>Thank you!
> 
>Steve
> 
> 
> 
>*Advocacy • Legislation & Ordinance Preparation*
> 
>*Education • Intervention • Transport • FosteringPre-adoptive Home 
>Visits • Avocational Bodhisattva* 
>_______________________________________________
>gnucash-user mailing list
>[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>  
><mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > 
>To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>-----
>Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
> 
>David T.
> 
>_______________________________________________
>gnucash-user mailing list
>[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>  
><mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> > 
>To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>-----
>Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
> 
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.




 

-- 

Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to