Please remember to reply to the mailing list, not the original sender:

+++++++++

Sorry for the delay. My server's disk crashed. Even with backups,
putting it back together has been painful and time comsuming. I just
discovered I was losing E-mail from this list.

===

The port numbers used in the -g option have nothing to do with the
GnuDIP server.

These ports are only used locally to check for an IP address change.

For example given your command "gdipc -g 3645:749", gdipc will send a
UDP packet to port 3645 at the external address of your NAT box at the
time of the last update, and listen with a time out on port 749, hoping
to immediately receive the packet it just sent. So if the external
address of your NAT box has changed, the packet will not arrive.

You must forward UDP packets arriving at port 749 on the external
interface of your NAT box to 3645 of the machine running gdipc,
otherwise the packets will never arrive, and you will send unnecessary
updates to your GnuDIP service.

Agsin, it is important to understand that the GnuDIP service is not
involved in this.

--
Creighton MacDonnell
http://macdonnell.ca/