The problem turned out to be the bad /etc/init.d/exim4 file again. Tim
(rootard) helped me figure this out a while ago, for some reason on
line 24 the -r is changed to a -x. I copied over the /etc/init.d/exim4
file from a running Debain machine and svcadm clear svc:/network/exim4
got it running again.

I then did an apt-clone dist-upgrade, selected option 1, rebooted and
selected the bottom upgrade checkpoint option but it hung on the
Nexenta splash screen for 30 minutes so I declared defeat (for now).
Unfortunately I can't hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and see what's going on. I
rebooted back into the first option and it came up. It's pretty cool
to just be able to revert from a botched apt-get upgrade.

Michael