The last collective release was only two months ago.

As far as the ABI is concerned that is certainly an issue.   The last time
we discussed it we came up with two solutions:

   - Pad the ivar-structures in the classes out to give space to grow so
   that it pushes off any ABI compatibility issues as long as possible.   This
   is why in some APIs, including Cocoa, you see things like "reserved..." or
   "private..." variables.  These are there to give room to grow.  The
   disadvantage is that the classes would then take up more memory as a result.
   - Move the ivar-structures out of the classes and replace them with a
   void pointer to the actual structure.   This has the advantage that we will
   never be able to break ABI compatibilty since the sizes of the structs in
   the classes will not change... but it also has the disadvantage of adding a
   layer of complexity to getting and setting variables as well as potentially
   causing unpredictable issues due to unforseen incompatibilities such as
   cases where the wrong data is written into a data structure causing some
   sort of corruption when using the wrong version of a library.

I, personally, think we should implement the first option.  It's the method
most APIs follow and it is the method that is the most predictable.  It
would take some effort to do this, but it's minimal since it's really just
padding the structures with a given amount of space.

GC
P.S. Sorry for the double mail, Stefan, I meant to reply to all, but curse
gmail it defaults to reply. :)
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Stefan Bidigaray <stefanb...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I thought that's what GNUstep-startup was supposed to be used for?  I've
> personally never used it, but the way I understand it all you need to do is
> "./InstallGNUstep", right?
>
> In my opinion, it's more important to have up-to-date packages than
> anything else, however, one needs to keep in mind that most distributions do
> not follow the latest and greatest.  I, for example, use Debian Testing +
> GNOME most of the time and I know I will never have the latest release of
> packages, people need to realize this.  Tell you the truth, except for when
> I create GNUstep packages and build scripts for Slackware, I never compile a
> single piece of software.  Why is it different with GNUstep?  Why do people
> WANT to compile in the first place?
>
> If I can rant a little... GNUstep also gets way behind when it comes to
> releases.  How long has it been since the last collective release?  Why
> isn't GNUstep releasing more stable releases?  It seems everytime a new
> release of the core packages are out I need to recompile everything because
> it breaks ABI.  Rarely do I see a x.x.1 release.
>
> I've been wanting to bring that up for a while, figured this was as a good
> a time as any.
>
> Stefan
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Gregory Casamento <
> greg.casame...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey guys...  it seems to me that the build guides for building from source
>> that we have are out of date.   Could we move  some of this stuff to the
>> wiki so that it can be more readily maintained?
>>
>> Also, it seems like a lot of users are having issues using GNUstep because
>> the packages are so old on many systems.  Currently Hubert is working on
>>
>> What brought this up is that I was trying to help someone get gnustep
>> installed since the packages are out of date.
>>
>> Anyone have any thoughts?
>> GC
>> --
>> Gregory Casamento
>> Open Logic Corporation, Principal Consultant
>> ## GNUstep Chief Maintainer
>> yahoo/skype: greg_casamento, aol: gjcasa
>> (240)274-9630 (Cell), (301)362-9640 (Home)

Gregory Casamento
## GNUstep Chief Maintainer
(240)274-9630 (Cell), (301)362-9640 (Home)