It's also worth noting that our Cocoa.h is a LOT smaller than Apple's. The output from gcc -E on a simple .m file that just contains the line #import <Cocoa/Cocoa.h> is around 800KB on GNUstep and over 3MB with Cocoa.

How interesting. :-)

That suggests processing the headers in Cocoa would take almost 4x what it takes on GNUstep (all other things being equal), and so a precompiled header would indeed have a much larger effect on an Apple build.

That would explain why Apple developers are so keen on it. I couldn't really figure out why they are so keen on precompiled headers because when I tried them on GNUstep it was so hard to get any big performance speedups out of them. ;-)

Thanks