Hm, I'm not sure what is going on. Your install procedure looks correct and
I've used a very similar procedure on Ubuntu 11.04 successfully.

Here's another test program you could try which avoids constant strings:

#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, const char **argv)
{
        NSAutoreleasePool *pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];

        printf("testing NSNumber: %d\n", [[NSNumber numberWithInt: 3]
intValue]);

        [pool release];
        return 0;
}

Also, could you try running make with "make messages=yes"? This will log the
full command line used to run gcc.

How did you install the objective-C compiler and runtime? Just through the
gobjc package?

-Eric