Riccardo,

They may be crap to you, but they are in common usage and this deserve our
support.  The attitude you display towards them is at once non-productive
and not conducive to attracting developers.  They are your opinions, not
facts.

You forget when you say things such as the forgoing that the entire point
of a programming languages is to build programs as effectively and
efficiently as possible.  Calling developers lazy because the want to use
ARC or other features of objc 2.0 is like calling C programmers lazy
because they don't want to use assembler.   O_o

To the point Ivan was discussing objc 2.0 is the most recognized name which
we can use, but it's important to remember to say "the objective c 2.0
language" since "objective-c" itself is trademarked. :/

Thanks,
GC

On Saturday, January 11, 2014, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ivan Vučica wrote:
>
>> I definitely wouldn't go with anything like Objective-C+ARC since I, for
>> one, don't think ARC is nearly as an important addition to the language as
>> @synthesize. And five years from now, any arguments against naming it
>> relative to Objective-C 2.0 will stand against naming it Objective-C+ARC
>> or
>> similar.
>>
> well, I think it is poinlessin arguing in what is more important and what
> not.
> To me, they are all crap. The new language additions are dirty, have a
> terrible syntax and are appeal to lazy programmers.
> ARC instead is more a "taste". It is a new addition in the GC discussion.
> I personally prefer ref-counting.
>
> The point for me is making a clear statement about which runtime you can
> use and which features you get, so that somebody porting Apple code knows
> how much is supported, which features he can use with which compiler mix,
> to estimate, for example, the porting effort.
>
> This can't be written in stone. You don't know what Apple will invent to
> appeal its lazy iOS developers in the future, if and what Objective-C 2.1
> or 3.0 will be. Workstations aren't relevant anyway today...
>

> Riccardo

Gregory Casamento
(240)274-9630 (Cell)
http://www.gnustep.org