[AF] You can get the problems you are seeing if something like the libtiff
library is compiled with the wrong flag

Why build installers without confidence that they are not going to produce such
problems?

[AF] I never use Windows.  I just make the installer because no one else does.

That is nice of you and disappointing that Windows users do not help with that.

[AF] going back to a system that is known to work

I need to know a system that is known to work.

Windows users: Please recommend a working starting point and recipe for
building?

Are there any Windows users? How many do you think there are?