Howdy everybody. This is my first post to this list.

I have been recently working with porting Mono/C# applications using Gtk
+ to Windows. My work is more of a test case to see what steps in the
process are missing and preventing wide-scale use of Gtk+ on Windows.
Obviously, if lots of people used Gtk+ on Windows, we'd have a much
easier time of porting those applications to Linux (or running them
outright). So, that's my mission. To make it as easy as possible.

In the course of that I have found no less than 4 different
installations of Gtk+ for Win32. All with various levels of differences.
Some install to C:\GTK, some install to C:\Program Files\Common Files
\GTK. Some C:\Program Files\GTK. Some are included alongside the
applications that use them, a private copy. Each of these of course
comes along with it's own stack extending down to gettext.

This is non-optimal. As a developer working in a company with the intent
of programming a cross platform application, I have no place to turn to
a proper Gtk+ redistributable. I have no set of instructions describing
what I should build and where I should put it. I don't really want to do
this work myself. To be honest my ideal situation is this:

a) Go to gtk.org, download the gtk.msm file (Windows Installer Merge
Module.)
b) Add the MSM to my setup project in Visual Studio.
c) Build.
d) Distribute.

To reach that goal I started work on creating some WIX installer files
for Gtk+ and family. And then I realized something. Where should I put
these files?

My goal is to build a gettext.wix, a gtk+.wix, a pango.wix, and the
entire stack, and have these .wix files included in the upstream CVS of
each independent project. It would not be appropriate for gettext.wix to
install into a folder structure with "GTK" in the name. Upstream would
never accept it. So what's to be done?

What are you all doing? Are you maintaining your own complete set of
compilation scripts? Installing into your own prefix?

What is the proper way forward?

Obviously what I am doing is completely aligned with this project.