Jerry Haltom writes:
 > Some are included alongside the applications that use them, a
 > private copy.

This is the recommended way. Experience has shown, time and time
again, that trying to use a shared installation of GTK+ among several
separately developed and distributed applications on Windows is futile
and won't work. Sorry.

Firstly, Windows doesn't have package management like Linux or
Solaris. There is no way to automatically keep track of what apps
requires what versions of some library and don't like some other
version, etc.

Secondly, there are unfortunate slight differences in semantics
between different GTK+ (or GLib, or Pango) versions on Windows. Yes,
in an ideal world there shouldn't be, everything should be 100%
backward compatible. But the fact is that some app might work properly
only with (to just invent an example) GTK+ 2.8.17 and GLib 2.8.7,
which some other app works fine with any version, including the newest
(maintained branch) version GTK+ 2.10.6.

 > This is non-optimal.

>From a disk-space perspective, yes. So what?

 > a) Go to gtk.org, download the gtk.msm file (Windows Installer Merge
 > Module.)
 > b) Add the MSM to my setup project in Visual Studio.

If you think most people who distribute GTK+-using applications for
Windows use Visual Studio, you are very mistaken. Many people
(including the very subject of this mailing list you posted to,
gnuwin32) use the GNU toolchain. (And I use the GNU toolchain to build
GTK+, GNOME libraries, etc for Windows.)

 > To reach that goal I started work on creating some WIX installer files
 > for Gtk+ and family. And then I realized something. Where should I put
 > these files?

Open an own project on sourceforge?

 > My goal is to build a gettext.wix, a gtk+.wix, a pango.wix, and the
 > entire stack, and have these .wix files included in the upstream CVS of
 > each independent project. It would not be appropriate for gettext.wix to
 > install into a folder structure with "GTK" in the name. Upstream would
 > never accept it. So what's to be done?

Once you have a plan fully thought out, please present it on the
gtk-devel-list. Also, be prepared to maintain any new "wix" etc files
you suggest introducing for at least a few years.

 > What are you all doing? Are you maintaining your own complete set of
 > compilation scripts? Installing into your own prefix?

The Win32 packages I distribute from ftp.gtk.org and ftp.gnome.org are
in the simplest form imaginable: plain zip files. They can be
installed in any prefix the end-user (or sysadmin) wants. No paths are
hardcoded, the code in DLLs looks up where they are located and
construct paths to other files needed at run-time from that.

All that's needed is for the DLLs to be found either in PATH, or by
the application EXE the end-user runs being located in the same "bin"
folder as the DLLs.

 > Obviously what I am doing is completely aligned with this project.

With "this project", do you mean gnuwin32, or GTK+?

--tml