Alicia,

Some publishers are often criticised, you're right, and I agree that they
shouldn't be for just being an established scholarly publisher. And I don't
think they are as often as you perhaps assume. It is the policies and business
models that are criticised rather than the publishers per se. And you may have
noticed that the scientific community is often criticised as well, for moaning
and then doing what is not consistent with what they are moaning about, to put
it crudely.

I think that if a publisher, Elsevier, say, were to make all the journal
material available with delayed open access (CC-BY, fully re-usable and
mine-able) after a reasonable embargo period of a year (possibly 2 years in
certain slow-moving areas), that publisher might lose a few reprint sales, but
gain a fair amount of kudos as well. Of course it isn't the same as immediate
OA, but it would be an important step in the right direction. Would you
consider advising your corporate masters to do just that?

Anyway, there will be plenty of other steps in the right direction one can
think of, but this is the one that springs to mind immediately.

It really is the policies, not the publisher per se, though you will agree with
me that it is perhaps understandable that some specific policies are commonly
identified with specific publishers, and it is the publishers who make the
policies, of course.

Best,

Jan