I have some statistics pertinent to Question 4.  They date from 2008, but I
would guess that, if anything, publishers' policies would have become more
relaxed with regard to self-archiving since then

At that time, over 80% of publishers (as calculated by the number of
articles they publish, rather than strictly number of publishers) permitted
self-archiving of the submitted and/or accepted versionto a personal or
departmental website, over 60% to an institutional repository, and over 40%
to a subject repository.  Self-archiving of the final, published version
was, however, very much more restricted at between 5% and 10%

Authors' perception of what they were allowed to do by their publishing
agreements, however, substantially underestimated the extent to which
self-archiving was in fact permitted for the 'preprint' version, but
overestimated the extent to which it was permitted for the final published
version.

The full paper is at http://www.publishingresearch.net/author_rights.htm

Sally

Sally Morris
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex, UK  BN13 3UU
Tel:  +44 (0)1903 871286
Email:  sally at morris-assocs.demon.co.uk

  _____