In an article published in The Charleston Review in July 2010, Jeffrey
Beall, a librarian at the University of Colorado, Denver, described OMICS
Publishing Group as a predatory Open Access publisher. "Having a large
number of titles, as does the OMICS Publishing Group, is typical of
predatory Open-Access publishers," he wrote. "Also typical is each journal's
broad coverage. By offering 68 titles each with a broad coverage, this
publisher is tacitly saying it will publish anything."

Is Beall's characterisation of OMICS fair? Founder and managing director of
OMICS Dr Srinu Babu Gedela insists it is not. "We believe the peer review
process is very important . I am confident about the quality of the review
process used in OMICS' journals."

Nevertheless, OMICS has published at least one article that even OMICS
itself accepts should never have appeared in a peer-reviewed journal.

There have also been complaints that OMICS clones the names of other
publishers' journals, and on one occasion copied text verbatim from a
competitor's web site. This too Gedela denies. These incidents, he insists,
were simply mistakes, and OMICS corrected the situation as soon as the
problem was drawn to its attention.

A further complaint is that the publisher has been bombarding researchers
with email invitations to join editorial boards, submit papers to its
journals (of which there are now 200), and attend conferences. OMICS does
not deny that it uses bulk email services. Nor does it plan to stop doing
so. Indeed, Gedela implies, these activities are likely to increase in line
with the growth of its business. "As we plan to organise 50 conferences in
2012, we will be mailing invitations to researchers frequently."

OMICS is just one of a growing number of controversial OA publishers:
Beall's list of "predatory" publishers has now reached 28, and continues to
grow.

But while many researchers are quick to complain about the activities of
these publishers, should not the research community accept some
responsibility for the current excesses of the OA Gold Rush?

After all, OMICS says that it has now recruited 20,000 researchers to its
editorial boards, and we can assume the other OA publishers are proving
equally successful. This suggests that for every researcher decrying the
activities of these publishers others are facilitating them. Are the latter
not concerned that they are conspiring in the email bombardment of their
colleagues? Do they not care that some of the journals on whose editorial
boards they sit appear to be publishing papers that have had inadequate or
no peer review? Are they not worried that some of these publishers may be
engaging in dubious business practices?

So what is the background to the complaints levelled against OMICS
Publishing Group, what are the details of those complaints, and how exactly
does the company respond to them? Read on to find out more ...

http://bit.ly/vRIEGa