In an article published in The Charleston Review in July 2010, Jeffrey Beall, a
librarian at the University of Colorado, Denver, described OMICS Publishing
Group as a predatory Open Access publisher. “Having a large number of titles,
as
does the OMICS Publishing Group, is typical of predatory Open-Access
publishers,” he wrote. “Also typical is each journal's broad coverage. By
offering 68 titles each with a broad coverage, this publisher is tacitly saying
it will publish anything.”

Is Beall’s characterisation of OMICS fair? Founder and managing director of
OMICS Dr Srinu Babu Gedela insists it is not. “We believe the peer review
process is very important … I am confident about the quality of the review
process used in OMICS’ journals.”

Nevertheless, OMICS has published at least one article that even OMICS itself
accepts should never have appeared in a peer-reviewed journal.

There have also been complaints that OMICS clones the names of other
publishers’
journals, and on one occasion copied text verbatim from a competitor’s web
site.
This too Gedela denies. These incidents, he insists, were simply mistakes, and
OMICS corrected the situation as soon as the problem was drawn to its attention.

A further complaint is that the publisher has been bombarding researchers with
email invitations to join editorial boards, submit papers to its journals (of
which there are now 200), and attend conferences. OMICS does not deny that it
uses bulk email services. Nor does it plan to stop doing so. Indeed, Gedela
implies, these activities are likely to increase in line with the growth of its
business. “As we plan to organise 50 conferences in 2012, we will be mailing
invitations to researchers frequently.”

OMICS is just one of a growing number of controversial OA publishers: Beall’s
list of “predatory” publishers has now reached 28, and continues to grow.

But while many researchers are quick to complain about the activities of these
publishers, should not the research community accept some responsibility for the
current excesses of the OA Gold Rush?

After all, OMICS says that it has now recruited 20,000 researchers to its
editorial boards, and we can assume the other OA publishers are proving equally
successful. This suggests that for every researcher decrying the activities of
these publishers others are facilitating them. Are the latter not concerned that
they are conspiring in the email bombardment of their colleagues? Do they not
care that some of the journals on whose editorial boards they sit appear to be
publishing papers that have had inadequate or no peer review? Are they not
worried that some of these publishers may be engaging in dubious business
practices?

So what is the background to the complaints levelled against OMICS Publishing
Group, what are the details of those complaints, and how exactly does the
company respond to them? Read on to find out more ...

http://bit.ly/vRIEGa

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]