All very well, Andrew, but did it ever occur to you that when there is no wide
cultural or societal support for whatever law or mandate, more effort is
generally being spent on evasion than on compliance and enforcement turns out
to be like mopping up with the tap still running? If you insist on taking
examples from US politics, the 'war on drugs' is the one to look at.

Forcing scientists into OA is only ever likely to be successful if it rooted in
an already changing culture. A culture with an expectation that research
results are openly available to all. By the shame that researchers will be made
to feel at dinner parties, or in the pub, if their results are not OA. Of
course that will still be mainly peer-pressure, but changing hearts and minds
of peers is greatly helped if there were a societal substrate in which the open
culture can grow. Mandates or not, OA will never happen if scientists aren't
convinced from within. An appeal to them as human beings and members of society
is more likely to achieve that than mandates, in my view. The latter should
back up a general change of heart, not be a substitute for it.

What is 'the general public' should not be misunderstood and be construed to be
only those interested in medical literature. It includes all those interested
in the other 999 areas as well. Ex scientists, retired scientists, SMEs,
scientists interested in another discipline or cross-discipline topics,
students, lawyers, reporters, teachers, even hobbyists. Einstein wasn't an
institutionalised scientist when he worked on his most important work; he was a
patent clerk.

Of course, those OA evangelists who wish to pursue mandates should be pursuing
mandates. I encourage them to keep doing just that. But to narrow the efforts
of OA evangelism to what is stubbornly being called "the quickest route", in
spite of it being no more than a hypothesis which certainly over the last
decade and a half hasn't proved itself to be as effective as first thought, is
a mistake.

By all means where there are opportunities to promote mandates let us do that,
but not at the expense of making the moral and societal responsibility case for
OA.

Jan