On 2012-05-02, at 10:37 AM, CHARLES OPPENHEIM wrote:

> Stevan states:
>> SH: At the moment, Jimmy Wales does not have a clue about what are the real
>> problems of getting OA provided by researchers; nor does he have a clear
>> understanding of (or any experience with) peer review.
>
> CO: I'd be interested to see his evidence for these assertions. Has he talked
> to JW on these
> topics?  Has JW written stuff demonstrating his ignorance?

I suggest that whoever has JW's (no doubt rather costly) ear ask him.

I'm quite ready to be proven wrong. (But the default option is not
that everyone is knowledgeable about OA until proven ignorant.)

When people have a clue about the real problems of getting OA
to peer-reviewed research provided  by researchers, the OA community
tends to hear about it. Crackpot ideas are far more frequent, I'm afraid.

And if anyone who has never peer-reviewed nor written peer-reviewed
papers has a clear understanding of peer review, I'd love to hear from
them.

(I'm so much more familiar with those who have done peer
review and had it done unto them, and yet still have only the foggiest
notion of what it's all about and how it works. For that you need people
who have umpired peer review, by editing peer reviewed journals...)

Stevan Harnad