On 2012-05-09, at 8:02 AM, David Prosser wrote:

            Over-reaching, and carping about definitions and ideals,
            and

            especially preaching that continuing no-OA is preferable
            to low-bar-OA

            is just what is keeping us treading water year upon
            year, instead of

            flooding the planet (irreversibly) with the Green Gratis
            OA that we

            could already have.

      I don't think that there is a shred of evidence to support the
      thesis

      that we would have 100% green gratis OA today if only nobody

      had mentioned full OA.

No one has said that. Just that we should reach for what it within
our grasp rather than over-reaching and getting next to nothing.

      And suggesting that anybody is preaching 'continued no-OA is

      preferable to low-bar-OA' is a rather disingenuous misrepresentation

      of the position of those of us who support full OA take.

I quote from Jan Velterop:

> JV: So by all means, let legal measures play a role, but not at the expense of

> lowering the bar to 'gratis' OA. If one believes in mandates, then there is
> no reason why BOAI-compliant OA ('libre' in your lingo) should not be
> mandated.
Stevan Harnad

      David