The real issue is to do with usage rights. Can any article that is presented as
being OA just be read with human eyes, or also be re-used and used for
text-mining? The answer in my view should be 'yes', re-use and text-mining, too,
whether the article is in a repository, a personal web site, or a publisher's
site.
There may be technical issues to overcome, but there is scant reason to overcome
those for so-called OA articles if text-mining is not allowed. By the way, a
format converter to assist text-mining can be found
here: http://pdfx.cs.man.ac.uk . The web version works on individual articles,
but I gather that batch processing (of the content of a repository, say) is
possible, albeit at a very small fee per article. But these kind of tools don't
make articles BOAI-compliant OA; if articles are not, permission must still be
sought. I can understand those who regard OA pretty much useless without the
rights to re-use and text-mine.

Jan