On 12 May 2012, at 15:37, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> This is a very good summary - as a;ways RP gets to the essence with clarity.
>
> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Richard Poynder <ri...@richardpoynder.co.uk
>> wrote:
>
>> List members will doubtless correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me
>> that the nub of this issue is that Peter Murray-Rust believes that when a
>> research library pays a subscription for a scholarly journal (or a
>> collection of journals) the subscription should give researchers at that
>> institution the right both to read the content with their eyeballs, and to
>> mine it with their machines -- and that this should be viewed as an
>> automatic right.

I consider myself a practicing scientist, who has probably wasted  1000s of
hours (as have my students) scanning 1000s of articles over the years, with the
aim of tracking down a single (and unindexed) fact which may or may not be
contained in free text, and wondering why my time was in effect being so
wasted. Multiply that up a million times or so and the wasted time accumulates
rather impressively. Worse, students may be tempted to avoid this pain by not
doing it. There are many examples of re-invention of the wheel because  the
literature can be so impenetrable to <humans> (and as Peter argues, less so to
a trained  machine which does not get bored).