This is a very good summary - as a;ways RP gets to the essence with clarity.

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Richard Poynder <ri...@richardpoynder.co.uk>
wrote:
      List members will doubtless correct me if I am wrong, but it seems
      to me that the nub of this issue is that Peter Murray-Rust believes
      that when a research library pays a subscription for a scholarly
      journal (or a collection of journals) the subscription should give
      researchers at that institution the right both to read the content
      with their eyeballs, and to mine it with their machines -- and that
      this should be viewed as an automatic right.

That is my view. I cannot comment on most publishers' views. The material I have
received from them in response to questions about this issue does not, in
general, have Richard's clarity.

[...]

      There is also the question of what researchers can do with the the
      data once they have extracted it, which seems to me to be a more
      complex issue.

It has not been as heavily discussed as access has.

[...]

      On whether this is an OA issue, and so relevant to GOAL, I would
      suggest that it is partly an OA issue, and partly not an OA issue.
      One might argue that it is not an OA issue because it concerns
      access to subscription content, rather than OA content. On the other
      hand, one could argue that it is an OA issue, since both Stevan
      Harnad and Peter Murray-Rust are asking for access to subscription
      content. Where Stevan is asking for eyeball access to this material,
      Peter is asking for machine access.

The problem is partly that there are very few other forums other than GOAL for
the communal discussion of matters of this sort. One effect or cause (I leave
that to historians) is that much discourse takes place fragmentedly on blogs.
(There are places where news is reported but that is one-way) .IMO this is a
pity

      I realise, of course, that Stevan is happy to have access to the
      version of a paper as it exists prior to publication (the
      pre-print), but, nevertheless, he is asking for access to papers
      that have been published in subscription journals.

      Either way, since this issue is inextricably bound up with
      discussion of gratis vs. libre OA, I think it is relevant and
      appropriate to be discussed on GOAL. If others disagrees, please say
      so.

I would urge that GOAL be seen as the natural forum for discussion of the rights
and wrongs of re-use. Otherwise it will be necessary to set up somewhere else.

I also believe that textmining is set to take off rapidly and that there will be
a need for  a list related to technical issues - but that should be distinct.

P.
      Richard Poynder
      GOAL Moderator