From: Jan Velterop
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:15 PM
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: [GOAL] Re: CC-BY in repositories

Peter,

It would simplify things a lot.

So, the norm would be (mandated where needed) to deposit one's final
manuscript, accepted for publication after peer-review, with a CC-BY licence,
in a suitable repository, as soon as possible upon acceptance for publication.
This has many similarities with deposit of preprints in arXiv. Publishers have
not been concerned about arXiv. One reason is that versions of record are not
deposited in arXiv.

Subsequent publication of the 'version of record' takes place in a journal. In
case that journal is a 'gold' journal with CC-BY licences, authors may replace
the manuscript in the repository by the published version. Or not deposit a
manuscript version at all but simply wait until the open, CC-BY version of
record is published and deposit that. Some automated arrangement to do so may
be available for some 'gold' journals and some repositories, as is already the
case here and there (e.g for UKPMC).

You may well be right that this very simple procedure would resolve most,
perhaps all, problems of the Finch Report and RCUK policy plans. It also
'de-conflates' money and cost concerns from open access and reuse concerns.

The only thing I'm not clear about is who the "we all" are who'd have to agree
to launch this for Open Access week :-)

Jan Velterop