Heather,
I'm curious about your final note that CC-BY is not advisable for
humanities. Why is it so? What's so different in HSS publications
compared to, say, biology or mathematics where CC-BY is a "gold
standard"? What other license is most recommended in humanities? Thanks.

Marcin

On 01/25/2013 11:32 PM, Heather Morrison wrote:
> Some reflections on the Sage OPEN $99 per article news
>
> Sridar Gutam on the GOAL list has pointed out that even this APF, for a
> scholar from India, is far too high a price. Even in the West, I hear that
> there are rumblings on HSS listservs that scholars are up in arms about what
> looks like an attempt to shift the costs to them, personally. This could be a
> downside of a cost this low.
>
> Some reflections on whether for-profit at $99 is realistic - see Gary
> Daught's blog post for details on the numbers I'm referring to:
> https://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/article-processing-charges-reduced-to-99-on-sage-open-humanities-and-social-sciences-mega-journal/#comment-1872
>
> Let’s think a little bit about the work involved and how this might relate to
> costs. 1,400 article submissions over the course of a year, assuming 200
> business days per year, amounts to 7 article submissions per day. 160
> published articles means .8 articles completed per day.
>
> How long would it take a managing editor to process 7 article submissions per
> day? Some would be immediately rejected as out of scope or so clearly of poor
> quality that they aren’t worth sending out for peer review. With an automated
> submissions process, there is some work involved up to the decision point,
> then often the rejection can be completed with an automated e-mail reply.
>
> Less than one published article per day, even with a high rejection rate,
> should not be a huge task for a PLoS ONE-like publish-if-it’s-good-research
> and DIY copyediting approach.
>
> At $395 / article = $64,000 / year, this should be a fair amount of money for
> staffing and overhead – it’s not even clear to me that this kind of volume
> would be a full-time position.
>
> If Sage OPEN were to increase its acceptance rate – perhaps by adding staff
> capable of dealing with a wider range of subjects, disciplines, languages –
> then it could benefit from cost efficiencies. If the acceptance rate were
> 1,000, at $99 / article, that’s just under $100,000 per year. Publishing 5
> articles per day, when the publisher’s staff is not actually doing any of the
> editing, peer review, copyediting, etc., seems quite doable. Hire a Managing
> Editor with some academic background (perhaps a Master’s Degree?) at $50,000
> per year, a junior assistant at $20,000 per year to deal with invoicing,
> factor in 25% overhead = total costs of $87,500, for a profit of $12,500 or
> an operating profit margin at 12.5%. Not bad - most of us wouldn't mind at
> all if our pension funds were paying out at 12.5% per year.
>
> I’m not saying this is what this costs, but it does look like the idea of
> attractive profits at $99 processing costs per article is something we should
> be having a close look at.
>
> As a final note – I find this interesting because of the PRICE. However,
> because Sage OPEN uses CC-BY which I consider to be frequently inadvisable in
> [...]

Marcin Wojnarski, Founder and CEO, TunedIT
http://tunedit.org
http://www.facebook.com/TunedIT
http://twitter.com/TunedIT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinwojnarski

TunedIT - Online Laboratory for Intelligent Algorithms