From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf
Of Heather Morrison
Sent: Tuesday, 29 January 2013 8:45 AM
To: Marcin Wojnarski
Cc: goal@eprints.org
Subject: [GOAL] Re: Is $99 per article realistic and compatible with profits
- or too high a price?

On 2013-01-28, at 12:29 PM, Marcin Wojnarski wrote:

"Commercial use" is a broad and vague term. For example, displaying a paper
on a website together with advertisements - is this commercial use or not? I
think most people hope for add-on services to flourish on top of CC-BY
literature, they rather don't expect the papers to be directly re-sold.

Question: are you saying that allowing any third party to make use of a
scholar's work to advertise their own products and/or to sell their
advertising services is one of the reasons people are advocating for CC-BY?

If so, I would suggest that such a use is far more problematic than
beneficial to scholarship, and I doubt very much that scholars who prefer to
publish their work as open access are keen to permit such uses. Even if this
were desirable, such a practice is also questionable with CC-BY, as this
grants commercial rights but retains the author's moral rights.

best,

Heather Morrison