Only Andrew Adams has shown a full and realistic grasp of the
contingencies. He is spot-on in every respect (except mixing up BMC
withPMC!).

1. The only substantive issue is *how to get peer-reviewed journal articles
to be made Open Access (OA), today.*

2. Twenty years of evidence shows that -- except in the very few subfields
that self-archive spontaneously, unmandated -- *the only way to get those
articles to be made OA is to mandate (require) that they be made OA.*

3. Institutions are the source of all peer-reviewed journal articles, in
all fields, funded and unfunded.

4. Authors who do not self-archive spontaneously, unmandated, can only be
mandated to do it *once*.

5. The only ones that can systematically monitor and ensure that *all* of
their research output, in all fields, funded and unfunded, is
self-archived, in compliance with self-archiving mandates are *authors' own
institutions*.

6. The only way institutions can systematically monitor and ensure that *all
* of their research output is self-archived is if it is *deposited,
convergently, in their own institutional repository --* not if it is
deposited, divergently, here and there, institution-externally.
(Institutional back-harvesting of its own institution-external content is
so unrealistic as to be hardly worthy of discussion.)

7. The metadata of institutionally deposited articles can be -- and are
being -- harvested institution-externally by many harvesters (foremost
among them being google and google scholar).

8. The full-texts of institutional deposits are being harvested too (by
google and google scholar for sure) -- although for most purposes users
only need a link to the full-text in the institutional repository.

9. The power and functionality of OA harvesters can and will be enhanced
dramatically -- but *not until much, much more of their target content is
OA than is OA today.*

10. Till then it's simply not worth most people's time to enhance
functionality over such sparse content.

11. Which brings us straight back to *the need for effective OA
self-archiving mandates, systematically (hence institutionally) monitored
to ensure compliance*.

12. Arxiv's functionality does not come from the fact that its authors
deposit directly in Arxiv: *it comes from the fact that they deposit, and
deposit reliably (near 100%), unmandated.*
*
*
13. Ditto for those who share protein or crystallographic data centrally, *
unmandated*.

14. The real problem is all of that vast majority of OA's target *content
that is not being deposited* -- either institutionally or
institution-externally -- *because deposit has not yet been mandated*.

15. Immediate deposit of all peer-reviewed research output can be mandated
by both institutions and funders.

16. Immediate Open Access to the deposit would be desirable, but access to
deposits can be embargoed, if there is a wish to comply with publisher
embargoes on OA .

17. This compromise can and should be made, if necessary, in the interest
of hastening and facilitating the universal adoption of immediate-deposit
mandates by all institutions and funders.

18. (Institutional repositories' email-eprint-request Button is there to
tide over user needs during embargoes.)

19. The other compromise that can and should be made, because it is indeed
necessary, is *not to insist prematurely on further rights* -- over and
above free online access -- that publishers are not yet willing to allow,
such as text-mining, re-mix and re-publication rights.

20. First things first: Don't fail to grasp what's already within reach by
over-reaching for what's not yet within reach: Don't let the perfect be the
enemy of the good.

21. *Mandate institutional deposit -- and let harvesters harvest where and
when they please.*