Rick, in terms of subscription cancellations is that really true with big deals? Doesn't Elsevier allow immediate deposit with most of their journals except if your institution has a mandate. Also I believe Björk and his colleagues found faculty often take awhile getting around to archiving their manuscripts even with a mandate.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/lw7vwbz Would you really consider dropping a journal with say 70% percent of the content available after a year? I'm not a librarian but I just wonder how much of a difference allowing immediate archiving of the accepted version really makes in subscription decisions. On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Rick Anderson <[email protected]>wrote: > > I don't know if there is a way of getting a list, but I think you are > conflating two things. I assume you are saying you would cancel if all of > the content of the journal was available without embargo. Sherpa/Romeo > doesn't tell you that - it just tells you whether or not the publisher > allows green deposit without embargo. > > > You're right, I should be more precise: if I know that a publisher > allows green deposit of all articles without embargo, then the likelihood > that we'll maintain a paid subscription drops dramatically — and drops even > further if the journal is near the periphery of my institution's research > and curricular interests. If the journal is closer to the center of our > interests, then before dropping the subscription we'd probably do a quick > survey to see what percentage of its articles are showing up in public > repositories within a reasonably brief period. > > --- > Rick Anderson > Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections > Marriott Library, University of Utah > Desk: (801) 587-9989 > Cell: (801) 721-1687 > [email protected] > > -- > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "SPARC OA Forum" group. > To post to this group, send email to [email protected] > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > [email protected] > For more options, visit this group at > http://groups.google.com/a/arl.org/group/sparc-oaforum > > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to [email protected]. > -- David J Solomon [email protected]
_______________________________________________ GOAL mailing list [email protected] http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/goal
