EBSCO Serials Price Projections for 2014 recognizes rising impact of open
access; highlights perils of continued publisher consolidation
http://wp.me/p20y83-PE

EBSCO Information Services is not only a well-known database aggregator of
academic journal literature and e-books, they also manage the purchase of print
and electronic journal subscriptions for libraries and institutions (its
original business). The other day I received EBSCO’s Serials Price Projections
for 2014 (September 26, 2013)
http://www2.ebsco.com/en-us/Documents/PriceProjections2014.pdf. The main point
was delivered to us unceremoniously, right at the top:

At the time of writing, we expect the overall effective publisher price
increases for academic and academic/medical libraries for 2014 (before currency
impact) to be in the range of 6 to 8 percent.

Since I have become used to budgeting a 10 percent annual increase for journals
over the last several years this sounds almost (keyword) like a bargain.

Beyond this news, there were some interesting bits in their assessment of
Market Dynamics, which included a strong awareness of the evolving impact of
open access, despite the continuing dominance of the pay-for-access model. …

Your comments are welcome.

Gary F. Daught
Omega Alpha | Open Access
http://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com
Advocate for open access academic publishing in religion and theology
oa.openaccess at gmail dot com | @OAopenaccess