From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf Of
Graham Triggs
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:31 AM
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: [GOAL] Re: Elsevier is taking down papers from Academia.edu

On 9 December 2013 00:20, Heather Morrison
<heather.morri...@uottawa.ca<mailto:heather.morri...@uottawa.ca>> wrote:
Alicia,

According to your statement below, with CC-BY the only restriction placed by
Elsevier is for attribution. However, the Elsevier open access license policy
clearly states that Elsevier demands an exclusive license to publish with open
access works (including CC-BY). Can you explain this discrepancy?

I don't believe this is a discrepancy. What it is saying that the definitive
record is published by Elsevier, and the author provides an exclusive licence
in order to do so.

Re-publishing, or re-distributing via any other venue constitutes a derivative
work, which is permissible and does not conflict with the exclusive licence
(which is only on the definitive record, not the derivative) - providing the
proper attribution is in place.

Without the exclusive licence to the definitive record, then as the author
retains copyright, then in theory the author could authorize publishing of a
version of the definitive record without attribution to the Elsevier version.

It's a question of preserving the version of record. The difference between the
author providing a licence to Elsevier to distribute an article under CC-BY,
and the author providing a CC-BY licence to Elsevier.

Comment: Based on this wording it is clear that Elsevier is requiring an
exclusive publishing license. This is not compatible with your explanation
below that nothing is required beyond attribution as required by the CC-BY
license.

It is consistent - the article can be re-published elsewhere, providing it is
accordance with the CC-BY licence, including attribution to the definitive
record as published by Elsevier.