From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf
Of Jean-Claude Guédon
Sent: 14 December 2013 20:53
To: goal@eprints.org
Subject: [GOAL] Re: Jeffrey Beall Needlessly Compromises Credibility of
Beall's List

Sally,

Re-use and text mining are not the same thing. If I distribute my own
articles in my own classroom, this is re-use and it relies only on eye
contact, not machine-reading. That scholars are not yet focused on
text-mining is simply the result, of inertia and force of habit. It is
coming, but it is coming slowly. However, slowness does not prevent from
thinking ahead, and many publishers certainly are. The "executable paper"
bounty offered by Elsevier a couple of years ago shows another publishing
angle which, for the moment, is not much on the scholars' radars, but it
will be. Creating new "societies of texts" through various kinds of
algorithms will be the same. Publishers are thinking about these issues.
Some OA advocates are doing the same, not on the basis of surveys that tend
to emphasize the past and the familiar, but rather in a future-looking
perspective.

Regarding an earlier post of your that seemed to complain that OA advocates
are using too narrow and too strict a definition of open access, you might
consider that the publishing industry, for its part, has done its utmost to
confuse issues by throwing all kinds of new terms. Muddying the waters and
making the whole scene as illegible to regular scientists as is possible,
all the while raising the fear of various legal interventions in the
background (e.g. Michael Mabe recently in Berlin, alluding to the
possibility of ant-trust actions in reaction to libraries coordinating too
well for the industry's taste) cannot be treated as if it did not happen or
had not been planned and engineered with one aim: slow down acceptance by
all possible means, and try taking control of the movement to exploit it the
publishers' way.

Also, this is the first time that I see people being criticized simply for
trying to be precise and unambiguous. I guess mathematicians must be
extremely rigid, unreasonable, and uncooperative people...

Finally, the focus of OA is not to destroy the publishing industry. Saying
this amounts to some form of paranoia. Some OA advocates, including myself,
are very angry at some members of the publishing industry, but these are
individuals, not the OA movement. Some OA supporters try to imagine
alternatives to the present publishing system. This means competition, I
guess. But it may be that the publishing industry does not like competition,
true competition. Some os us strongly feel that research communication comes
first, and the publishing industry a distant second, so that the publishing
industry should not consider scholarly communication as if it were a gold
mine ready to be pillaged at will (45% profit, to my mind, is pillaging, and
pillaging a lot of public money, to boot). But perhaps I am a little too
precise here... :-)

As for scholars, they do not have to be forced by mandates. Just tell them,
as was done in Belgium, that you will be evaluated on the basis of only what
is available in the right depository, and everything will fall into place.
Now, researchers paid by universities or research centres cannot object to
being evaluated, and to reasonable rules of evaluation such as deposit your
publications in this box if you want to have them taken into account.

Open access is beneficial to researchers, and that is obvious. But being
obvious is not necessarily self-evident. To be obvious, one needs to look at
studies on citation advantages, assess them, etc. But if local evaluations
do not pay attention to these advantages, why should a scholar pay great
attention so long as promotions and grants keep coming on the basis of
fallacious metrics such as impact factors of journal titles.

To meditate further on the distinction between obvious and self-evident, one
only needs to rehearse all the arguments that were being adduced by
opponents to both the American and French revolutions: democracy was
obviously better than absolute monarchy, at least for most people; but the
elites threw enough arguments into the air to make it less than self-evident
for quite a while.

Finally, I would like you to think seriously and deeply about what Jacinto
Dávila wrote in response to you. Developing nations are hit in a number of
nasty ways by a communication system that seems to think that knowledge is
not fit for Third World brains, or that Third World brains are good enough
only if they focus on problems defined by rich countries. Make no mistake
about this: the anger in those parts of the world where 80% of humanity
lives is rising and what the consequences of this anger will be, I cannot
foretell, but they will likely be dire and profound. If I were in your
shoes, I would be scared.

Jean-Claude Guédon