On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Graham Triggs <grahamtri...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 14 December 2013 20:53, Jean-Claude Guédon <
> jean.claude.gue...@umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
>>  Regarding an earlier post of your that seemed to complain that OA
>> advocates are using too narrow and too strict a definition of open access,
>> you might consider that the publishing industry, for its part, has done its
>> utmost to confuse issues by throwing all kinds of new terms.
>>

> Which terms have been introduced by the publishing industry? The majority
> of the terms that I see regularly were introduced - or at least claimed to
> have been - by scholars.

There are probably 20 different terms introduced by publishers. They
include:
"Author choice"
"Free choice"
"Free content"
and variants. All are imprecisely defined and a cynic might say intended to
confuse.

And there is blatant misrepresentation:

"Fully open Access" (to describe CC-NC-ND with a list of restrictions,
all-rights-reserved and huge charges from RightsLink including for
teaching.)

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry