From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf
Of Stevan Harnad
Sent: 20 December 2013 16:11
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: [GOAL] Re: new platinum open access

The Green/Gold Distinction.The definition of Green and Gold OA is that Green
OA is provided by the author and Gold OA is provided by the journal. This
makes no reference to journal cost-recovery model. Although most of the top
Gold OA journals charge APCs and are not subscription based, the majority of
Gold OA journals do not charge APCs (as Peter Suber and others frequently
point out).

These Gold OA journals may cover their costs in one of several ways:

(i) Gold OA journals may simply be subscription journals that make their
online version OA
(ii) Gold OA journals may be subsidized journals
(iii) Gold OA journals may be volunteer journals where all parties
contribute their resources and services gratis
(iv) Gold OA journals may be hybrid subscription/Gold journals that continue
to charge subscriptions for non-OA articles but offer the Gold option for an
APC by the individual OA article.

All of these are Gold OA (or hybrid) journals.

It would perhaps be feasible to estimate the costs of each kind. But I think
it would be a big mistake, and a source of great confusion, if one of these
kinds (say, ii, or iii) were dubbed "Platinum."

That would either mean that it was both Gold and Platinum, or it would
restrict the meaning of Gold to (i) and (iv), which would redefine terms in
wide use for almost a decade now in terms of publication economics rather
than in terms of the way they provide OA, as they had been.

(And in that case we would need many more "colours," one for each of (i) -
(iv) and any other future cost-recovery model someone proposes
(advertising?) -- and then perhaps also different colors for Green
(institutional repository deposit, central deposit, home-page deposit,
immediate deposit, delayed deposit, OAI-compliant, author-deposited,
librarian-deposited, provost-deposited, 3rd-party-deposited, crowd-sourced,
e.g. via Mendeley, which some have proposed calling this "Titanium OA").

I don't think this particoloured nomenclature would serve any purpose other
than confusion. Green and Gold designate the means by which the OA is
provided -- by the author or by the journal. The journal's cost-recovery
model is another matter, and should not be colour-coded lest it obscure this
fundamental distinction. Ditto for the deposit's locus and manner.

Excerpted from: On
<http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/993-.htm> "Diamond OA,"
"Platinum OA," "Titanium OA," and "Overlay-Journal OA," Again

Stevan Harnad

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Donat Agosti <ago...@amnh.org